Monday, May 16, 2011

The Chair Project

So this last week my Grandma and I were shopping at Ross, and I saw some really cute upholstered chairs for kids. I've always thought they were cute, and since I'm working on a nursery, it was fun to see that they had some that would go perfectly in the nursery. At least that's what I thought until I saw the price -- $60. Obviously, more than I would be willing to spend on a kid's chair...so I enjoyed looking at them, but had no further thought of actually getting one.

The next day, Grandma and I were doing one of our favorite things, visiting the local DI (a thrift store) when I noticed that they had an upholstered kid's chair! It was not much to look at, covered in stained and worn out denim, but I could see the potential. It's actually a cute little rocking chair. It was only $5, much more in my willing-to-spend price range. After a visit to the fabric store, (that happened to be having a mega sale,) I was able to come home with a couple yards of upholstery fabric (usually $21.99 a yard) for only $3.50 a yard! All-in-all the chair wound up costing a cool $12.00.

I considered reupholstering it, but then decided to go with a slip cover, which will be much easier to throw in the wash when things inevitably are spilled on it. I love how it turned out, and even though the baby won't be using it for a couple years, it was totally worth it!! Here are the before and after pictures:

7 comments:

  1. Nicely done Candy! Are you guys living at your house in SLC?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My GOSH!! That's ridiculous - It's so cute! I can't believe you made that! Was it super hard? You have so many talents - you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The chair looks awesome! I love it! The nursery looks very cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw the nursery today for the first time, and I never would have guessed you didn't buy the chair just looking that cute. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness you have to be one of the most talented, beautiful women I've ever had the privilege to call a friend!!! Job well done!! I wish I lived closer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing as always with decorating. I love DI!!!! I'm due Aug. 17th with a little girl too. Congrats! -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute. We got one for our daughter for her first birthday, and she has used it since day one. She loves having a chair her size. I just wish we had only paid $12 for ours! However, I love the slip cover idea, and may make one for hers. It needs a bath every couple of months.

    ReplyDelete